Anything can be.

Listen to the MUSTN'Ts, child.
Listen to the DON'Ts.
Listen to the SHOULDN"Ts,
the IMPOSSIBLEs, the WON'Ts.
Listen to the NEVER HAVEs,
Then listen close to me...
Anything can happen, child.
Anything can be.
-Shel Silverstein

I'm finding it impossibly difficult to get students to believe in themselves.

Many of them are completely disillusioned.

They dare not hope. They dare not try. They are so young and yet, they dare not live.

Been reading the above poem to each kid I'm tutoring. A fuzzy feeling of warmth when I sense them thinking about themselves - their past, present and future.

It's a really lovely feeling, an empowering one, to look into their eyes and feel their minds whirling, thinking. The initial awkwardness when I introduced the poem to them - can simply imagine them thinking why the hell is this guy wasting my time? - fades away.

This poem brought my charges and I closer together. Try reading it to the friends and family around you, won't you? 

Comments